Support for expatriates
Explore Schwab's services for U.S. expatriates.
We understand that as an American living outside the U.S., you may face some difficult challenges. That's why we aim to make your financial transition as smooth as possible. We can help you invest in U.S. markets while living abroad, access U.S. dollar–based accounts, and provide reporting for U.S. tax filing.
U.S.-Based Professional Support
The U.S.-based professionals can help guide you through the account opening process and answer your questions. You will have access to:
- An international wire team to facilitate currency exchanges and money movement.
- Online workshops showcasing Schwab's platforms, market insights, and trading education.
- U.S.-based client support and specialists to discuss specific investing or trading needs through a toll-free phone service.
Account Features for U.S. Expatriates
As a U.S. citizen living abroad, you'll enjoy a number of advantages with Schwab, including:
- Convenient access to your money through U.S. dollar–denominated checks, debit cards, and the Schwab MoneyLink® Electronic Funds Transfer Service.
- Competitive rates of exchange when transitioning from the U.S. dollar to another major currency, and vice versa.
- Simplified U.S. tax reporting due to all accounts being U.S.-domiciled dollar accounts.
- Clear online reporting and a 1099 form to help your IRS filing.
- A Schwab Visa® debit card that you can use at any ATM in the world, and Schwab will refund the fees.
Access Schwab Trading Platforms
You'll have access to market insights and online tools.
- You can stay connected to the markets and trade via the Schwab website using your computer, tablet, and mobile device.
- Active traders have access to StreetSmart Edge®, our most advanced trading platform, which is intuitive and easy to use.
Have more questions? We're here to help.
Send applications, deposits, and other materials to:
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.
Attn: International Operations
1945 Northwestern Drive
El Paso, TX 79912-1108, USA